This isn’t an everyday crumble it’s the taste of autumn in a bowl! The addition of port to the fruit brings out a deeper flavour whilst the cinnamon adds warmth to the dish. It’s definitely best eaten warm out of the oven with a dollop or two of crème fraiche.
* 50g Butter
* 1kg Bramley Apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm slices
* 500g Blackberries (fresh or frozen)
* 200g Caster Sugar
* 300ml Port
* ½ tsp Cinnamon
* 300g Deans All Butter Shortbread Biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Melt 20g of the butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Cook apple, stirring, for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add berries, sugar, port and cinnamon. Cover and cook for 8 minutes until fruit gives off a lot of juice. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fruit to a 2L pie dish or six 300ml ramekins. Reduce juice in pan over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until syrupy. Pour over fruit.
3. Pulse shortbread in a processor to form coarse crumbs. Add remaining butter and process to combine. Top fruit with crumbs. Bake for 35 minutes until golden.
4. Serve warm with cream or crème fraiche
“This article is brought to you by Gus Woltmann”.