CPEP may refer to:
* the Contemporary Physics Education Project at the University of Michigan;
* “Computer Professional Education Program” at the Australian Computer Society;
* the “Center for Preservation Education and Planning”, a collaboration with the United States’ National Trust for Historic Preservation;
* the “Communist Party of East Pakistan”, later Communist Party of Pakistan
* the “Committee on Printed and Electronic Publications” of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry;
* the “Comité-directeur de la Caisse de Pension des Employés Privés”, Luxembourg’s largest private-sector pension fund;
* “Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program”, a standard of Psychiatric Emergency rooms.
The Contemporary Physics Education Project, CPEP, was formed in 1987. The group of research physicists, college teachers, and high school teachers grew out of the Conference on the Teaching of Modern Physics held at Fermilab in 1986. Its first effort aimed to supply a chart for particle physics teaching that would rival the Periodic Table of the elements. The first version of this chart was published in 1989.
CPEP has created four charts emphasizing contemporary aspects of physics research: particles and interactions; fusion and plasma physics; nuclear science; and cosmology. Over a quarter of a million of these charts have been distributed.
The group has created website support for teaching for each of the charts (available through the website www.cpepweb.org).
The Australian Computer Society (ACS) is an association for information and communications technology professionals. Its stated aims are “to advance professional excellence in information technology” and “to promote the development of Australian information and communications technology resources”
The ACS was formed on 1 January 1966 from five state based societies. It was incorporated in the Australian Capital Territory on 3 October 1967. Since 1983 there have been chapters in every state and territory.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation is an American member-supported organization that was founded in 1949 by congressional charter to support preservation of historic buildings and neighborhoods through a range of programs and activities.
Its mission statement states:
“The National Trust for Historic Preservation provides leadership, education and advocacy to save America’s diverse historic places and revitalize our communities.”
The National Trust for Historic Preservation headquarters, also known as the Andrew Mellon Building, located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The building is a National Historic Landmark.
In 1947, a meeting convened by David E. Finley, Jr. culminated in the creation of the National Council for Historic Sites and Buildings. This group was able to obtain the congressional charter for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which President Harry S. Truman signed on October 26, 1949. Finley served as the National Trust’s first chairman of the board, remaining in the position for 12 years.
Recent controversy surrounding the organization occurred in 2004 when the Beaux Arts marble-clad Century Building in St. Louis was demolished to make way for a parking garage, alongside the support of the Trust. It had provided tax incentives to save another historic building across the street but had failed to intervene on the Century Building. Despite much popular support to preserve the building, the corruptive actions of City Mayor Francis Slay had pushed forth the demolition with relative ease. Many have labeled the Trust’s current president (Richard “Dick” Moe) a disgrace for letting such a historic structure fall. Many historians and architects have lamented the city and the trust’s decision to destroy such an integral piece of St. Louis history. As such, many have called for Moe’s resignation.
 National Trust Historic Sites
Twenty-nine sites are designated as National Trust Historic Sites. Most are owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and operated by other non-profit organizations (e.g., Farnsworth House); some are owned and operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation (e.g., Drayton Hall); and some are owned and operated by other non-profit organizations and hold a long-term cooperative agreement with the National Trust for Historic Preservation (e.g., Lower East Side Tenement Museum). These sites currently include:
“This article is brought to you by Gus Woltmann”.